Sunday, June 30, 2013

Stop Obsessive Thinking from Healthy Living


Obsessive thinking

Why it's harmful: Turning the same thoughts over and over again in your mind sends your body and brain into the stressed-out state known as fight or flight, Buse says. Your breathing and heart rate quicken, and your body releases the stress hormones adrenaline and cortisol, all of which takes a toll on both your physical and emotional health.

What you can do: Learn to recognize the thoughts you dwell on most, and train yourself to avoid those obsessive pathways. Deep breathing helps, as does snapping yourself out of it—literally. "Put a rubber band on your wrist as a reminder and every time you're ruminating, pull it back a little," Buse advises. "It's a reminder to stop ruminating and change your train of thought."

1 comment:

  1. What it is (for me): I am searching for the perfect words. I am stuck. I don’t know what to say. I don’t have enough knowledge. I need clarification. I should have said something earlier. She hates me now. I don’t know if I believe what I said…. followed by outlandish proof and examples.

    Obsessive thinking keeps me from experiencing the world. I am stuck inside my head unaware of my changes in breathing, heart rate, level of depression, feelings, as well as the time, the day, the light, colors, sounds, and people around me. I freeze. From taking improv classes I’ve learned of some concepts which can be helpful for me. A large part of improv is embracing the unknown. The obsessive thinking, planning, and rigid adherence to an idea or belief blocks exploring the unknown and experiencing the moment. In the moment I discover myself, I address mistakes, I speak and act based on what I experience. I let go of the ‘perfect’, the ‘should’, and the ‘correct’ and know I am in the unknown to discover the constantly changing me capable of adapting to the moment.

    ReplyDelete